Well, it’s over!

Each of us are currently holed up in our respective homes at various stages of the recovery phase after a grueling 24 hour walk around the community for THE FED.

The first overnight stage which took us from HEATHLANDS VILLAGE to Whitefield to Sunnybank, back to Prestwich and on through to Gatley (Yeshurun shul) went just as planned. We arrived 20 minutes ahead of schedule, where we recited morning prayers at Yeshurun and with 42 of the 100km safely negotiated, went cheerfully on our way.

Two hospitality stops at relatives of Harvey in and around Gatley provided some much needed sustenance of tea, coffee and bagels, and a check on our long-suffering feet which were starting to hurt.

Progress inevitably slowed although the weather, thank goodness, was faultless throughout (except for a short heavy shower earlier on Deansgate which halted progress for 5 mins) – no complaints there! Slowly but surely we walked our way across from Gatley to Hale to Bowdon (including the magnificent Park Road, the ‘Bishop’s Avenue’ of the North) to Altrincham and then turned north for Sale. At Sale shul, after walking over 70km, I had a bad turn of sickliness – but a couple of paracetamols and some water turned things around and we were off again. Mincha was recited in an open field just beyond junction 6 of the M60, close to Jackson’s Boat which, as we discovered, turned out to be a pub, in fact one of the most delightfully situated pubs in all of Manchester.

Harvey and Malcolm on our travels

Harvey and Malcolm on our travels

Time was relentlessly ticking by and as we headed back towards town the whole event gradually began to take its toll. By 9.15pm we reached the Manchester Jewish Museum and were met there by my sister/brother-in-law, nephew Sam and my son Robert, armed with two portions of chips from the JS. But the sickliness had returned to my head, so reluctantly, over 86km on, I decided to call time and accept a lift home. Malcolm and Harvey, accompanied by Robert, then made a beeline back to HEATHLANDS VILLAGE, arriving at 11:0pm after over 91km near-continuous walking.

Harvey commented that it was nothing like he’d ever encountered during marathon running and perhaps it was an ambitious project. But with him and Malcolm manfully reaching HEATHLANDS VILLAGE I consider it done – we certainly were! We will recall this experience many times in the future for sure.

To support Alan please visit his FED Fundraiser page or call THE FED’s Fundraising Department on 0161 772 4800.

Hear Alan’s pre walk interview on BBC Radio Manchester