It simply would not be possible for us to provide all of our services without the amazing contribution of those who volunteer. Our volunteers are young and old, come from every walk of life, and from every section of the community.
Watch Caroline’s Story:
What’s in it for you?
There’s a huge amount to be gained from volunteering for THE FED. Our volunteers often tell us that they get more out of volunteering than they put in such as:
- the satisfaction of making a real difference to someone else’s life
- the pleasure of feeling part of your community
- knowing you are making a positive contribution to society
- having something great to add to your C.V. or personal statement
added to this are opportunities to:
- meet new people and form long-lasting relationships
- build your confidence and self-esteem
- develop by facing new situations and challenges
- keep physically and mentally active
- acquire new skills and improve existing ones
What do THE FED’s volunteers do?
They help us to look after people by:
- befriending people who are isolated and lonely
- escorting people to medical appointments and treatment
- taking people shopping or do their shopping or errands for them
- working in our Charity Shops or HEATHLANDS VILLAGE minimart and coffee-shop
- escorting people on our shopping bus
- helping to run our Stay and Play sessions for children with special needs
- assisting our fundraising and marketing department
- helping to run activities for residents of our HEATHLANDS VILLAGE care home
- providing respite to carers by sitting with the person they care for
Just an hour or two your time, every week or so, can make a massive difference to someone else’s life!
Young volunteers – are you aged 16 – 25?
Many young people choose to volunteer for THE FED, particularly in the field of befriending. We enjoy a strong association with local schools and universities.
The Year 12 and 13 pupils and students are given training and opportunities to develop their sense of social responsibility in a safe, supportive environment.
We aim to find you a rewarding placement which will help young people on their chosen career path. It is our hope that amongst our young volunteers we will find our future communal leaders.
How do I sign up?
If you’re thinking of joining us please complete our contact form.
Alternatively, call us on 0161 772 4800 for a chat about what would suit you. We will explain our induction and training process and how we support you on an ongoing basis.