The Federation of Jewish Services (FJS) was created in December 2009. It was brought about the merger of two of Manchester Jewry’s oldest charities – The Fed and Heathlands Village. In November 2011 FJS became known as The Fed, whilst retaining its full title “The Federation of Jewish Services” for legal and charitable purpose.
1867 The Board of Guardians for the Relief of the Jewish Poor of Manchester was founded.
1960’s The Board changed its name to Manchester Jewish Social Services (MJSS). They employed the charity’s first unqualified social worker.
1990 The delivery of the National Health Service and the Community Care Act. MJSS employed professional social workers and developed the Phillip J Davies Centre to support people with mental health needs.
1997 MJSS merged with the Manchester Jews’ Benevolent Society to become Manchester Jewish Federation, or more informally, The Fed.
2000 Opening of a branch office in South Manchester to support the needs of people living on the South side of the city.
2000 The Fed merged with Time for You to provide respite to carers through carefully matched volunteers.
1898 The Committee of the Bread, Meat and Coal Society established a Home for Aged and Needy Jews ( The Home ). The initial number of 6 residents were housed in Elizabeth Street.
1900 The Home was established as a separate Charity, and moved to larger premises in Cheetham Hill Road.
1906 The Home amalgamated with the Manchester Jewish Temporary Shelter, and the number of residents had increased to 18. Charity now called “ Home for Aged and Needy Jews and Jewish Shelter “
1932 Due to building extensions and the acquisition of adjoining premises, a nursing area was created, and 80 residents were being cared for.
1938 A large adjoining house was purchased which increased capacity to 100 residents, including some who had arrived from Nazi Germany.
1945 Charity name changed to Manchester Jewish Homes for the Aged.
1956 Bethesda children’s home in Leicester Road was purchased and converted into a satellite facility accommodating 60 residents.
1972 Following the demolition of the existing property, Heathlands was opened as a purpose built facility housing 220 residents, including 110 in a nursingwing. Extensions over the next 20 years saw capacity increase to 267 residents
1984 Opening of Medical Centre, providing consultation and physiotherapy facilities.
1993 Commencement of a 4 year project to convert the multi bedded nursing units into individual en suite rooms, resulting in the loss of 66 beds.
1995 Commencement of day care provision for non residents
1996 Opening of Eventhall House with 64 ensuite beds, and separate dining rooms and lounges.
1997 Change of name of complex to Heathlands Village.
2002 Upper floor of residential wing converted to Moorview House – a supported independent living facility
2004 Commencement of 3 year programme creating an enlarged residential lounge a multi sensory room, a cinema, and a new coffee shop.
2006 Charity name changed to Heathlands Village, a Company Limited by Guarantee
The Federation on Jewish Services (The Fed)
Following constitutional merger in December 2009, the summer of 2010 heralded the start of major change. The Fed’s Holland Road premises were decanted to The Heathlands Village site. Extensive refurbishment took place to upgrade the existing facilities and accommodate the intake of services and staff from The Fed. The refurb also made way for the development of new services. In particular, the ground floor of Eventhall House was converted to provide a new multi-purpose Community Centre and Children’s Centre.
The newly formed Federation of Jewish Services home at Heathlands Village established a focal point for the community. For the first time Manchester Jewry had a one-stop-shop for social care support for people of all ages – a modern and sustainable organisation offering excellent and flexible services.